What Is Rust? And How To Prevent It!
PTL Fabricators knows metal so we also know about rust and how to prevent it.
First of all – what is rust? Rust is a form of iron oxide. It occurs when iron combines with the oxygen in the air causing it to corrode. Although iron and steel structures seem solid to the eye, water molecules are able to penetrate microscopic gaps in the metal. This starts the process of corrosion.
How to Prevent Rust?
- The most popular rust-resistant alloys are stainless steel and weathering steel.
- Stainless steel contains a minimum of 11% chromium which allows the formation of a protective film of chromium oxide which acts as a shield against rust.
- Weathering steel contains up to 21% of alloying elements such as chromium, copper, nickel, and phosphorus that form a protective rust patina that reduces corrosion.
- Proper planning during the design stage of a metal building can minimize water penetration and reduce the risk. The experienced design team at PTL Fabricators is well aware of the hazards of improper design which can lead to excessive rusting.
- Galvanization involves coating the surface with an external layer of metallic zinc. The zinc layer prevents corrosive substances from penetrating further into the metal.
- Bluing is accomplished by immersing the steel into a solution of potassium nitrate, sodium hydroxide, and water.
- Regular maintenance is advised to stop rust forming and halt the progress of any that occurred. It’s essential to remove any rust that has formed.
These are just a few of the solutions for the prevention of rust. No matter what type of project you have, if it involves metal, we can help. Turn to the experts at PTL Fabricators. We utilize more than 30 years of industrial experience to tackle our industry’s toughest challenges with inventive solutions. Contact us today.